Kerr Wood Leidal Associates (KWL) in collaboration with space2place Design Inc., was retained by the City of Calgary Parks Department to redevelop Prairie Winds Park, located in Northeast Calgary.
The improvements included:
- Renovating the park’s washroom building;
- Creating new play areas and courts;
- Removing a winding creek feature and establishing new bioretention facilities;
- Constructing new tennis and basketball courts, fitness stations, cricket pitch, and winter hockey rink;
- Constructing picnic shelters and new water fountains;
- Providing new event electrical connections; and
- Upgrading the park’s irrigation systems.
KWL conducted a condition assessment of the existing underground storm and sanitary utilities and the associated lift stations, and integrated the storm system with the park redevelopment. Analysis and modelling (PCSWMM) were undertaken to identify storm system deficiencies relative to the City’s latest guidelines, and opportunities to implement the City’s Low Impact features were identified.
The resulting design realigned the storm system to suit the new pool and play equipment layout, and a bioretention area was added to attenuate storm runoff. KWL provided construction management services, and the park re-opened to the public in June 2017.